Friday, September 16, 2011

Enchilada? Burrito? Chimichanga?...Let's Call The Whole Thing Off...


This topic has created some controversy in my family.  All I know is that it's one of my favorite meals to make because you get to eat desert WITH dinner, not after.  (That is, if you're a fan of sweet corn cake.)

The first SUCCESSFUL, culinary attempt I perfected was my version of what I initially called "enchiladas".  I say first "successful" attempt as my first "actual" attempt was the nightmare Marsala I detailed in my blog a few days ago.  Anyways, I had begun to watch cooking shows after The Marsala Incident (next Bourne saga with Matt Damon?..maaaayyybe?..) and started taking notes. 

I knew that I really LOVED Mexican cooking so I set out to emulate the Chi-Chi's style as best I could.  In all honesty, I couldn't tell you the difference between an enchilada, a burrito, or a chimichanga at the time, but I always ordered enchiladas when I went there so that's what I chose to pefect. I knew that it involved chicken, veggies, and cheese wrapped up in tortillas and fried (I thought) - covered with a tangy red sauce.  After creating my version, I was immediately assulted by "experts" at work that I chose to share it with informing me that I was making either A.) A burrito,   B.)  A chimichanga,   or C.)  None of the above, but I still couldn't take credit for it.  Let's examine the difference:

  1. Enchilada:  An enchilada is a corn or flour tortilla rolled around a filling and covered with a chili pepper sauce and may include meat, cheese, beans, potatoes, vegetables, seafood, or any combination.  (Hmmm...that was pretty close.)
  2. Burrito:  A burrito, is a type of mexican food consisting of a wheat flour tortilla, wrapped or folded around a filling where the tortilla is lightly grilled or steamed to soften.  Fillings generally include a combination of rice, beans, lettuce, salsa, meat, cheese, sour cream, etc.  (Not really the same.)
  3. Chimichanga:  A deep-fried (now we're talking) burrito that is typically prepared by filling a flour tortilla with any combination of beans, rice, cheese, shredded chicken and folded into a rectangular package.  (Still not exactly the same, but very close.)
For all intents and purposes, I'll just call it my Burritochangalada - - I can do this because it's mine.  You can call yours whatever you want.  If you want a hearty, fiesta of a meal, I encourage you to try this.  If you do, I highly recommend that you  prepare a side of saffron (or spanish) rice and sweet corn cake.  The combination of sweet, salty, savory and tangy are out of this world. 

P.S. If you can shred your own marble or colby jack cheese, your reward will be a smooth, and creamy one that absolutely makes this dish




Ingredients:
  • 2 Chicken Breasts
  • 1 Red Pepper
  • 1 Yellow Pepper
  • 2 Jalapenos (Optional)
  • 1/2 Red Onion
  • 2 Cloves, Garlic - Minced
  • 1 Package, Grande Tortillas (Let them sit out to get to room temp while you cook to soften)
  • Vegetable Oil for Frying
  • Shredded lettuce and chopped scallion for garnish.
  • Shredded marble jack or colby jack cheese
  • Red sauce (recipe below)

Red Sauce:
(You can absolutely buy a can of your favorite brand OR if you'd like to experiment, here's the base you can start with.  Feel free to add spices to your taste to make it suitable for your pallete.)
  • 8oz Tomato Sauce
  • 2 cups water
  • 2 Tsp. Chili Powder
  • 1 Tsp. Paprika
  • 1/2 Tsp. Cumin
  • 1/2 Tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1/4 Tsp. Cayanne (Add more if you want it hotter)
  • 1/8 Tsp. Kosher Salt
  • A pinch of sugar...just to cool things off.

How To Make:
  • If you're making your own Red Sauce, begin by combining all the ingredients in a small sauce pan over medium high heat.  Bring to a soft boil, reduce heat and allow to simmer 12 minutes - stirring occasionally.  Taste halfway through to determine if you need to adjust the spices.  Once finished, set aside and allow to cool.  Conversely, if you're making the corn cake and/or rice, you'll want to follow the directions on their respective packages and begin preparing those as they take longer.  (Start with the corn cake, it takes 45 minutes as opposed to saffron rice which takes 20).
  • Slice your chicken into bite size chunks or strips and set aside.  Slice the peppers and onions roughly the same size as your chicken & set aside also and mince your garlic.   In a large saute pan with 1 Tbsp oil, begin to cook the chicken over medium heat.  Dust chicken with a pinch of chili powder, garlic powder, and cumin while it cooks.  Drain the fat from the pan when cooked and add the vegetables OR you may opt to use 2 separate pans and combine the chicken & vegetables at this time.  Stir over medium heat for 4-5 minutes.
  • Begin to heat about 4-5 cups of oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat while you prepare the burritochangalada.  Lay out your tortilla - sprinkle a small amount of cheese across the bottom 1/3rd of it, layer on a couple spoons of the chicken/vegetable mix, and top with a bit more cheese.  Roll up carefully, tucking in the sides (see pictures below) and move to pan.  Place wrap seam-side up in oil and fry 2-3 minutes until solid and golden brown.  Flip so seam-side is down and repeat. 
  • Move to oven safe plate, drizzle red sauce over and sprinkle with remaining cheese.  Add your rice and corn cake to the platter.  If your plate is oven safe, place in oven at 200 degrees for 4 minutes to warm the dish and melt the cheese.  If it's not oven-safe, toss it in the microwave for 90 seconds to melt the cheese.  Remove from oven and garnish with shredded lettuce & scallions. 






1 comment: