Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Knockout Bruschetta


I fell down my basement steps a couple weeks ago.  As I lay in a crumpled heap, attempting to get my bearings, it occurred to me that I hadn't had bruschetta in a long time.  I decided that, permitting I could walk and had no internal bruising, I was going to make some that night.  After a couple minutes regaining my senses and locating one of my dishcloths that had fallen between my washer and dryer (I was in a perfect position to see this from my location.), I made it to my feet and hobbled upstairs to make my shopping list.

Bruschetta is an Italian delicacy that can be served alone, but I prefer serving this as an appetizer before an Italian meal - as is the case in most restaurants.  There are many versions of bruschetta out there, but one of the more common recipes (and the one I prefer), features sliced baguettes that are toasted, rubbed with garlic, and topped with a mixture of diced tomatoes, garlic, vinegar, oil, and fresh basil.  Other versions I've had at restaurants in the past included everything from wanuts, raisins, olives, goat cheese and other items I don't want to taste on my bruschetta.  Don't get me wrong, those types of ingredients have their place, it's just not on my palette in this recipe.   That being said, I'd like to offer up my version:

Ingredients:
  • 1 Long Baguette or loaf of Italian or French bread.  (You can use the latter for larger slices.)
  • 8-10 Roma Tomatoes (Depending on their size.), Diced.
  • 1/2 Cup FRESH Basil, Chopped.  (If you cannot get fresh, avoid this recipie.  This is the key ingredient in my opinion.)
  • 2 Cloves Garlic, Chopped
  • 1 Tbsp. Balsamic Vinegar
  • 1/3 Cup Parmesan Cheese, preferably shredded
  • *2 additional cloves of whole garlic or 1/4 cup olive oil for brushing the bread.
How To Make:
  • In a bowl, combine the diced tomatoes, chopped garlic, vinegar, olive oil and 1/3 cup of the chopped basil - reserving the rest to garnish at the end.  Stir to combine, cover and refrigerate 30-45 minutes.  While mixture is marinading, perform one (less than 20 minute) chore you've been putting off.  I recommend cleaning that bathroom sink you've been avoiding for 3 weeks, but it's your house. 
  • About 10 minutes before removing the marinade from the fridge, preheat the oven to 425.  Slice the bread - diagonally, into 1/2" thick slices.  Place slices on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven 5-7 minutes or until the bread just turns golden brown.  While bread is toasting, slice off just the tip of the garlic and set aside.  When the bread is done, remove from the oven and rub the garlic (or olive oil) onto one side of each slice. 
  • Top each of the slices with a spoonful of the tomato mixture & small amount of the parmesan and either serve immediately if you like the hot/cold combination OR put back in oven 4-5 minutes until the cheese starts to melt.  I prefer the latter.  Garnish with remaining basil just before serving.




This is a great starter to virtually any Italian dish, but I think it's perfect just before chicken marsala.  To really enhance the flavors, I will usually serve this with a dry wine like a Chardonnay or Merlot, depending on your preference of white to red.

P.S. I was fine from my tumble down the steps - thanks for asking...Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Steve-
    Hi! I found your blog through Facebook and decided to check it out. The first paragraph of this post made me laugh very hard, and then I thought about when you got your feet stuck in the desk in front of you in some class...hilarious!! ( ps I'm glad you didn't get hurt). Awesome blog! I'm bookmarking recipes!
    --Adrianne (Carlson) Osmundson

    ReplyDelete