Monday, September 19, 2011

No frills Sesame Chicken - Just seriously good eats...



Sesame chicken rocks.  I absolutely love it and I've been making my own for quite some time.  One thing I've come to the decision on, is that Sesame Chicken needs a wet batter as opposed to a dry one that's used for many other versions of fried pieces of chicken.   Additionally, you need to adpot the "double-fry" method for this (see details in recipe for specifics).  This is another dish that looks as good as it tastes.

Many people tend to shy away from preparing proper Chinese Food as soon as they see the list of ingredients.  I admit, I used to be the same way but the reality is, most of the ingredients you'll purchase and use in small portions so they'll last a long time in your cupboard and refrigerator.  Subsequently, once you start preparing your own fresh Chinese Food, you'll find that you will prefer this to your favorite takeout PLUS it's far healthier.  I'd also like to point out that traditional Sesame Chicken is made with thigh meat while I use breast meat.  I know, go ahead, rip me apart but I find the breast meat fries better.

Before I post my recipe, I realize that I didn't share anything humorous in this blog, so here goes:   I ran into a clothesline pole when I was 7.  Really hard.  I was at a friends' house playing tag and I had just tagged someone while running in the opposite direction quite fast.  What followed was the sickening sound of skull crashing into metal as I felt lightning bolts of pain course through my head.  I remember running in circles crying from the pain but being more upset that my nose was running (I hate that sensation).  I finally hopped on my Huffy (you bet) and double-timed it down the alley to my house, crashing into all 5 garbage cans on the way.  Blows like that can easily cause brain damage, but I haven't noticed anything...blows like that can easily cause brain damage, but I haven't noticed anything.  That being said, here is my Sesame Chicken.



Ingredients:

(Batter):
  • 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1 Tbsp. Rice Vinegar
  • 1/8 Tsp. Sesame Oil
  • 2 Tbsp. All Purpose Flour
  • 1/4 Tsp. Baking Powder
  • 1/4 Tsp. Baking Soda
  • 2 Tbsp. Water
  • 2 Tbsp. Cornstarch
  • 1 Egg

(Sauce):
  • 1/2 Cup Water
  • 1 Cup Chicken Broth
  • 2 Tbsp. Soy Sauce
  • 1/2 Cup White Vinegar
  • 2 Tsp. Chili Garlic Sauce
  • 1 Large Clove of Garlic, Minced
  • 1 Tsp. Rice Vinegar
  • 3/4 Cup Sugar
  • 4 Tbsp. Cornstarch
  • 2-3 Large Chicken Breasts
(Etc.)
  • Sesame Seeds
  • 2 qts. Vegetable Oil
  • White Rice

How To Make:
  • Slice the chicken into 1" thick strips and place in a large ziploc bag.  In a large bowl, combine all the ingredients for the batter and stir well.  (Watch what happens when you add the baking soda and powder - cool.)  Once combined, pour over the chicken and allow to marinade in the fridge for 30-45 minutes.
  • While chicken is marinading, bring 2 qts of vegetable oil up to 350 degrees.  While oil is warming up, combine all the elements of the sauce into a sauce pan and begin to stir over low heat.  (Yup, it's going to look clumpy and weird at first, but when you turn up the heat later, it'll come together perfectly).
  • When oil is hot, add chicken pieces to it, frying 4 minutes.  (You're not cooking fully through yet).  Remove chicken to a plate with paper towels to drain.  Bring heat back up to 375 this time.   Add the chicken back to the oil when the temp is back up and fry 3 more minutes. While the chicken is cooking again, turn the sauce up to medium-high and stir occasionally until it thickens and nearly boils. 
  • Transfer chicken to a bowl and pour the sauce over.  Combine well and serve over white rice, sprinkling with sesame seeds.  Eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment