Thursday, September 8, 2011

A "Not-So Romantic" T-Bone


I find no shame in admitting that it's been tough to get back on my feet since my divorce earlier this spring. Well I don't feel ashamed anymore after an unexpected call from an old friend last night that did wonders for my self esteem.  I've been lucky to have some people very close to me (friends, family, and co workers) that have been supportive through this transition, but this call made me realize I have a lot to offer and it allowed me to start looking at the negative things that have happened positively - and with my sense of humor....specifically, my interactions with the female species.  (Hang with me...there is a tie to my recipe included.  I just wanted to take this opportunity to say,  "Thank Missy.")  Again, to skip the narrative and go right to the recipe, scroll down to the pic below.

Since I've been back up in northern MN, I've picked up my groceries from the same place.  I'm the type of shopper that will go into a store every day to get what I need for dinner that night as opposed doing it all at once in the beginning of the week.  For one, fresh stuff can go bad more quickly.  For another reason, I don't know what I'm going to be hungry for from day to day.  Since this is my method of shopping, and being a bachelor, I rarely have more than 15 items in my cart.  Therefore, the Express lane is the lane for Grigal.

As I shopped through the late spring/early summer, I happened to notice the same girl working the express lane each night when I was in there.  Each night, I'd come through and she'd start up a conversation with me about various things.  After about the 3rd straight week of this type of small talk, I was convinced she was into me.  So...I had to find reasons to go in there more frequently as I built up my courage to ask her for her number OR to give her mine.  The cheapest things I can logically justify going into a store for multiple times are garlic, jalapenos, and cilantro.  If things got suspicious, I could rattle off a dozen recipes I used any and all for so I didn't look like more of a tool than I already did.

A month passed and I still hadn't worked up the courage to give her my number and what resulted was a cabinet filled with garlic, a produce drawer spilling with jalapenos, and wilted cilantro everywhere.  (Yeah, I can cook with it all, but I didn't want to during that stretch.)  One night, I went in there determined to make the move.  I got up there and she cut me off in mid sentence saying, "You know...I tell you all about me when you come in and I know nothing about you."  Holy geez...she lobbed it up and I was going to nail out of the park.  "Well...I'm Gribble..."   I said for no apparent reason.  She looked confused, I said nothing else and checked out awkwardly.

I got to my car and slapped my forehead repeatedly.  I finally snapped, pulled out my receipt and wrote my phone number at the top.  With all the confidence I could manage, I marched back in there.  I was thinking to myself, "You'll be ok.  What's the worst that could happen?  She doesn't call, right?  You can live with that."  I walked in and with all the class of a toilet bowl, handed her the receipt with my name and number clearly in view and said, "...you gave me an extra receipt."  (Smooooooth.)  Instinctively, she took the paper from my hand...only she didn't lower hers once she saw my digits on there.  I didn't move as we locked eyes - in a split second, I came the conclusion that I had read all the signals wrong from day 1.  With her not putting her hand down, and people starting to stare, I quietly said.  "You know.....I think I need that."  I took the receipt back and went to my truck. 

I sat in there for a few minutes, dwelling on my embarrassment.  I felt hurt...then I felt angry...then I felt hungry.  Suddenly, all I could think of was all of that damn garlic, cilantro, and jalapenos.  Then, I recalled a recipe I saw by Steven Raichlen (Brilliant grill master) that involved a combination of those elements with some olive oil and drizzled over a T-Bone.  That was it, I was set.  I kicked my door open and marched inside for a 3rd time.  I walked right past all the checkouts and back to meat department grabbing the biggest T-bone I could find.  I figured I'd teach that cashier a lesson by NOT going to her lane.  Instead, I picked the longest lane I could find and stood there like an imbecile for what seemed like an eternity, but I had my pride.  I checked out and headed to the door pausing to look over, only to see she wasn't even at that lane anymore.  I showed her...




Grilled Spicy Southwestern T-Bone:

Ingredients:

Dry Rub:  (You can omit this if you want and just use salt and pepper, but I highly recommend this rub)
  • 2 Tsp. Chili Powder
  • 2 Tsp. Kosher Salt
  • 1 Tsp. Black Pepper
  • 1 Tsp. Garlic Powder
  • 1 Tsp. Oregano
  • 1 Tsp. Ground Mustard
  • 1 Tsp. Cumin
Other Items:
  • 2-4 T-Bone Steaks
  • 1/2 Cup Olive Oil
  • 4 Jalapenos, Thinly Sliced
  • 4 Garlic Cloves, Thinly Sliced
  • 1/2 Cup Cilantro, Chopped
How To Make:
  • Remove steaks from fridge and allow to come to room temperature.  While steaks are warming, combine all the elements of the dry rub in a small bowl, mixing well.  Apply to steaks, rubbing well on both sides to ensure they're completely covered with the rub.
  • Oil the grates of a hot grill and place steaks over direct heat.  Give the steak 1/4 turn after 2 minutes to ensure you're getting sexy grill marks.  (Oh yeah, they'll be sexy.)  After 2 more minutes, flip and repeat.  Once steaks have seared (4 minutes total per side),  move to indirect heat of the grill for 4-10 minutes to reach your desired doneness.  Remove steaks from grill and place on cooling rack over a plate to allow excess juices to drip away and the steaks can continue to cook inside.
  • As steaks settle, warm the olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat and add the garlic and jalapenos.  Stir 3-4 minutes until they start to become fragrant.  Add the cilantro - stir one more minute and pour mixture over each steak.  Serve with corn on the cob and an ice cold beer.

No comments:

Post a Comment